Within your suggested ski size range there are several reasons to choose a shorter or longer ski.
- A shorter ski will be easier to turn but not as stable as a longer ski.
- A carving ski with a skinnier waist and a smaller turn radius, can be skied at a shorter length than an all-mountain or freeride ski with a larger turn radius and a fatter waist width.
- Rockered skis are easier to pivot between turns and can be skier slightly longer than comparable camber skis.
Should I size my skis shorter / closer to my chin?
- Are you a beginner or intermediate skier?
- Do you weigh less than average for your height?
- Do you like to make short, quick turns and seldom ski fast?
- Do you prefer a carving ski with only camber, no rocker?
Should I size my skis longer / closer to the top of my head?
- Do you ski fast and aggressively?
- Do you weigh more than average for your height?
- Do you plan to do the majority of your skiing off trail?
- Are you looking for a ski a twin-tip ski?
- Are you looking for a ski with a lot of rocker?